Icon Resin Infiltration (ICON)
RESIN INFILTRATION OF WHITE-SPOT LESIONS
WHAT IS ICON? Resin infiltration is a minimally invasive restorative treatment for post-ortho white-spot lesions (WSLs) and certain congenital hypocalcified enamel lesions (“hypo” spots). WSLs are associated with subsurface enamel porosities caused by a cyclical imbalance between demineralization and remineralization of the enamel, resulting from poor hygiene and associated plaque, bacteria and acids. With time, reminerlization at the outer surface of the tooth decreases the access of calcium and other ions to deeper portions of the enamel, eventually arresting the lesion. The lesions look white because there is a scattering of light at the subsurface of the demineralized enamel. Hypo spots, or enamel bruising, are congenital enamel defects often caused by trauma or infection involving the primary teeth.
* photos are actual ACDS patients, not stock photography
Example cases of congenital hypo lesions
Example cases of post-orthodontic white spot lesions
· First described 40 years ago
· Low viscosity, unfilled resin
· Penetrates demineralized enamel and fades the appearance of WSLs and hypo spots
· Optical properties similar to those of natural enamel, so it matches the natural shade of the tooth
· one visit
· no “shots” or numbing
· no drilling
· plain pumice is used to clean the teeth
· lesions etched 3×2 minutes – this removes the outer remineralized layer of enamel that had previously been blocking calcium and other ions from entering the tooth
· finishing bur on any surfaces that do not indicate an improved appearance
· application of drying agent (ethanol)
· application of the resin infiltrant
· material soaks in for 3 minutes (allowing for capillary action)
· remove excess material with cotton rolls, micro-brushes & floss
· light cure the material
· material added again for 1 minute, excess removed, and cured
· finish with polishing discs or burs
· temporary blanching of gums can occur in lesions close to the gumline
* total process takes approximately 45 minutes to 1 hour *
· much less invasive and less expensive than the alternatives of fillings or veneers
· can be done sooner than other cosmetic options like veneers that you have to wait until growth is complete
· Untreated hypo spots often look worse after bleaching. Hypo spots treated with Icon will whiten similarly to the natural tooth enamel
DOES IT WORK? DOES IT LAST?
· Research shows stability for at least 8 weeks. Think of it compared it to people who whiten their teeth – the teeth look so much better, but they do occasionally have to bleach again for maintenance. That being said, we have many patients with stable results for 5+ years.
* Key talking point * This is a treatment we offer to help fade the appearance of WSLs & hypo spots. We can not guarantee the spot will disappear completely, but in most cases it provides a significant cosmetic improvement in one simple, painless visit. Worse case scenario – there’s no change in appearance, but at least nothing irreversible or invasive has been done to the tooth.
Less is More: Minimally-Invasive Cosmetic Treatment Options for Enamel Defects
Dentists interested in learning MI Paste/Icon as a minimally invasive treatment for enamel defects: